Welcome to the final door of your 2016 Curious Meerkat advent calendar.
My Favourite Scientific Discoveries 2016:
- Scientists confirmed the existence of gravitational waves, twice.
- A new Earth-like Planet, Proxima B, was discovered.
- Researchers discovered a new form of light.
- I wrote about what asteroid mining might mean for conservation on Earth and beyond.
- Scientists developed a technique to freeze carbon dioxide into rock.
- Researchers discovered a new state of matter for water.
- A new technique for seeing gene expression using MRI was developed.
- I wrote about how synthetic biology and nanotechnology can come together to generate new forms of energy.
- Scientists used the CRISPR gene-editing tool on humans for the first time
- A 400-year old Greenland Shark was named the ‘longest-living vertebrate’.
- Researchers revealed the importance of the penis bone in primate evolution.
- Scientists confirmed that recent droughts shut down the Amazon Carbon Sink.
- A mysterious Ghost Shark was filmed swimming in the Northern Hemisphere.
- I wrote about the new field of soundscape ecology, that shows how our natural world is falling silent.
Useful Links for 2017